Saturday 21 January 2012

Hairspray set design


In 2009 I designed and painted all of the set and props for my schools production of Hairspray. After watching a professional production of Hairspray in the Shaftesbury Theatre, London, and working closely with the Director I came up with a fun, symbolic design which was used throughout the show.

 
Painting the set
The set in progress
.........
The set complete.




These photos show what my set looked like under lighting. I worked very closely with a professional lighting designer during the show who complimented me hugely on my design. He taught me the importance of considering lighting at all times when designing a set. As my design had to be used throughout the show and for all scenes in the production I decided to not use heavy blocks of colour so that the set could be transformed using lighting.


Here are some of the props that I designed and painted for the production.


This is a photo from the production during a performance. The giant hairspray can that I designed, painted, and helped construct is in sight in the background.

After the production I made paintings, drawings and my own interpretations from photos of the production concentrating on the main characters.










No comments:

Post a Comment